Chemist dies after being exposed to chemicals in a bottle
Chemist Chemist Jurgen Satsuma died in a California hospital early Wednesday, police said.
His death was the result of exposure to toxic chemicals in an aerosol bottle he was holding, Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Officer David Barra said.
He did not give any further details.
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office did not immediately release the cause of death.
The bottle was found at Satsums’ home in a residential area of the city.
A spokeswoman for Satsumas family declined to comment.
The coroner’s investigation was being conducted by the Los Angeles coroner’s unit and would determine whether anyone else in the household was also exposed, Barra told reporters.
Satsuas wife, who has worked for the company, has been placed on paid leave, according to police.
Her office was not immediately available for comment.
Setsuas mother-in-law, who was also working for the drugmaker, was hospitalized with breathing difficulties and did not respond to phone messages, according the Los Feliz district attorney’s office.
She was placed on administrative leave, said spokeswoman Mary-Ann Koppel.
Authorities are investigating whether the bottle contained chemicals linked to Satsumes death.
The chemical exposure was discovered about 4:15 a.m. on the third floor of the home, according a police report.
Santsus said he had left the house to pick up a colleague, when he opened the aerosol container and saw a “brownish-gray” substance.
The substance was “so strong that it started to burn his hand,” according to the report.
He said he didn’t feel any pain, but that the “smell was like a burning rubber” after he took the bottle off the stove.
“I went outside and there was blood everywhere,” Satsuminas said.
“I thought that’s the end.”
The bottle was filled with a liquid called propylene glycol, which Satsus says he used to clean the stove, the report said.
The company said that it was not a hazardous material and that the bottle is not intended for human consumption.
The contents of the bottle had not been analyzed and could not be determined, according an emailed statement to CNN by a spokeswoman.
The product is produced in China and shipped by the United States, according its website.
In a statement posted on its website, Satsumi’s company said it is “deeply saddened” by the death of its colleague.
Satsumis death comes as the industry is facing a backlash over the deadly chemical leak that forced the closure of a chemical factory in China.
On Tuesday, a fire broke out at a factory in Shandong Province, killing at least 20 workers and destroying a chemical storage facility.
China’s government said on Wednesday that it will inspect the site, which is near the city of Wuhan.
Earlier this month, China’s top environmental watchdog, the National Environmental Protection Agency, issued a new set of safety regulations for the chemical industry.
The new rules called for the use of new methods to test chemicals used in the production of chemical products.
Industry officials said the regulations would ensure that workers are properly trained and that chemical contamination is thoroughly checked and treated.
President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he has directed the EPA to look into the leak of a toxic chemical.